Saturday, October 16, 2010

Posts Tagged ‘micro rc helicopters’

Micro RC helicopters can’t get much smaller than the Li’l Flyer. For a very good price you can own one and start flying RC helicopters. There’s been some negative feedback on this model but I’ve found it to be almost perfect.

lil flyer micro rc helicopter

I was first impressed with the repair kit it came with. A little box labeled “repair kit” full of many parts that will likely break. It comes with 8 replacement blades! It’s 2 sets of 4 but you usually just break a couple blades at a time, if any if you’re careful. It also comes with, flybar, screwdriver and hardware.

Charging took about 30 minutes with new batteries. Charging time will be longer as the batteries are used. There’s no forward movement. Some micro RC helicopters will have a tail rotor which can control forward and backwards flight. The Li’l flyer has no just the 2 coaxial blades and the design automatically moves the helicopter forward. If you’re just beginning to fly this is perfect because you’ll learn how to use the rudder. If you have experience flying I would suggest a piece of balled up tape on the front nose to make it faster. It works really well.

The rudder is very sensitive because of the size but the remote is fully capable of controlling fine movements. It also has left/right trim. Take-off is completely wacky but to me it’s a funny feature. The helicopter forces itself to spin when you take off. It’s possible to control but not worth the effort. Once you’re in the air the helicopter will start to move forward. The throttle control stick spring is a little strong but not something to worry about. Flying time is approximately 10 minutes.

Overall, the Li’l Flyer is FUN! I was surprised to see how stable it is in the air, no vibrations at all. Take-off is sketchy but always possible. Flying and landing is very controlled and the LED lights are great for the dark. When I added some weight to the nose it was like putting a new motor on. Definitely try that. I’ve crashed it lightly a few times but there’s not a single scratch! If you’re a beginner flyer, expect to brake some blades and if you’re a hobbyist this one’s fun to mess around with indoors and affordable to promptly add to the collection!

Out of the box:
- Li’l Flyer Ultra Compact RC Helicopter (with LED lights)
- Lipo Battery (charged by transmitter cable directly in helicopter)
- Infra-red Transmitter, single channel (sold A/B/C for up to 3 models in the air at the same time), 80 foot range.
- Repair Kit

No batteries included. Requires 6 AA’s.

Micro RC Helicopters

Friday, September 10th, 2010

Some call them micro, some call them miniature, and some just call them small RC helicopters. They all stand in at just under a few grams. The light weight design gives the model flying capabilities with minimum power.

There are several micro RC helicopter models available and I wouldn’t consider them toys. They’re all capable of flying and some have better technologies to improve stability.

micro rc helicopter

There are several items that make up a micro RC helicopter. The picture above represents a cross-section of one. It’s a simple concept that works with a balanced aircraft.

Power
It’s powered by a dense lipo battery that moves the miniature dc-motor. Attached to the motor is the main gear that drives the main rotor. It also powers the Tail motor which moves the tail rotor.

Movement and Control
The infra-red sensor receives the movements from the transmitter which the controller board interprets to use variable power on the tail rotor. There are no servos on most micro RC helicopters. The fly-bar on top helps stabilize the helicopter and it’s all encased in a light Styrofoam body.

Most micro RC helicopters are made for the hobbyist. It’s a perfect introduction model if you’re interested in starting RC helicopter flying. These are also great for the experienced flyer because it’s safe to fly around indoors. The best part about micro RC helicopters is the price it costs to get the feeling of RC flying.

RC Helicotpers – 1 Month Summary

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010

I’ve been flying a few days a week for just over a month now. I’ve been using E-Flite models starting with the Blade CX2 then moving to the Blade SR and the Blade mSR. I started practicing with training wheels and the phoenix flight simulator. I was quick to pick it up and I’m able to push the CX2 to its limits without problems. You can only go so fast with the coaxial models so I upgraded to the Blade SR and picked up an mSR on the side.

The E-Flite Blade CX2 got me started. I bought the RTF kit, extra battery and training gear. I was off the ground first go but only for a few seconds hover. I spent 1 week hovering and moving forward/backward left/right nose out. If you’re lucky to get a windless day take it outside and give yourself some playing room. The Blade CX2 is simple to correct if you lose control. Watch the wind. Even if the trees aren’t blowing there could be small small gusts that will affect the flight. Adding extra weight to the nose and moving the battery forward will help outdoor flights. I’ve crashed the CX2 a few times. I’ve replaced blades, skids, and one crash took out my canopy so I had an excuse to get another one. The main shaft is very slightly bent and noticeable at full throttle but it hasn’t affected the helicopter enough to need replacing. That will be the next repair.

The E-Flite Blade SR got me started on single rotor RC helicopters. I also got the training gear. The Phoenix RC Flight Simulator has the full line of E-Flite models so I flew the Blade SR for a few hours on the Sim before taking it out. My maiden flight was a success and I’ve been practicing basic forward/backward left/right movements nose out. I felt I was comfortable so I tried a simple circle. I ended up correcting a problem the wrong way and smashed it into the ground. I broke the blades, training gear, main gear, tail rod, and blew the tail motor. Fun, and I’ll have more fun undoing the solder to rewire the tail motor…

The E-Flite Blade mSR is the micro version of the Blade SR and my latest addition. It’s basically a very small single rotor helicopter and it’s fully loaded. I got the Bind and Fly kit meaning I can use my existing transmitter to control the Blade mSR. The maiden flight was the best one I’ve had yet. Out of the box, the Blade mSR was performing very well with my limited flying experience. I could fly it comfortably (nose out) in all directions. I brought the helicopter outside and played around with orientation. After just 2 days I’m very comfortable hovering and spot landing it. I own a handful of micro helicopters but the Blade mSR destroys them. If you like booting around every now and then indoors then this is the model for you. Spend the extra money and get into a real micro RC Helicopter.

E-Flite Blade mSR

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010

I was thinking of getting another micro model just so I had another indoor model to go in the rotation. The problem with the toy store helicopters is not so much the flying, it’s the AA batteries. The Blade mSR uses E-Flite’s LiPo battery system and it comes shipped with two batteries and a multi charger that can charge 4 at a time. Each flight lasts 5-10 minutes and the charge time is <45>

Out of the box, I binded my HP6DSM SR transmitter with DIP switch 4 up. This configuration works but since the transmitter was built for the SR you won't get full capabilities. Read this Blade mSR and HP6DSM I found. I haven’t tried my Blade CX2 transmitter but I’m told it will work fine. The maiden flight was a success. I’ve read so many stories of people not having their DIP switches in the right positions and the helicopter with move in opposite directions from your input. This is why checking servos and transmitter response is important before every flight. I had the wrong DIP switches set but noticed right away in my pre flight test.

The Details
The Blade mSR comes Ready To Fly or Bind and Fly. The only difference is the transmitter that comes with the Ready To Fly model. It’s slightly more expensive. This review is on the Blade mSR Bind and Fly model.

Out of the box:
- Blade mSR RC Helicotper
- Blade mSR Tranismitter. (only with RTF kit)
- 2, 1 cell LiPo Batteries 3.7v, 120mAh.
- Battery Charger. (can charge up to 4 batteries!)
- Manual

Specifications:
- Main rotor diameter: 180 mm (7 in)
- Total length: 190 mm (7.5 in)
- Flying weight: 28 g (1 oz) including 120 mAh battery
- Battery: 1 cell Li-Po (lithium polymer hybrid), 3.7 V
- Radio standard: 2.4 GHz DSM2 compatible with all DSM radios
- Radio channels: 4 channels: throttle, yaw, fore/aft and left/right cyclic
- Color: Blue, red canopy also available separately

The E-Flite Blade mSR is perfect for anyone getting into RC helicopter flying or if you just want something simple to boot around with indoors. The single rotor has much more control compared to any micro coaxial I’ve flown so ditch out the extra money if you want something a little better then your toy store helicopter. Crashing is still out of the question. Yes, the micro model will have less impact because of the weight, but if your blades are spinning on impact expect the worst and be prepared to replace parts.

Buy E-Flite Blade mSR

How to bind a DX7 transmitter to the Blade mSR

More Reviews

By RCGeeks.ca

Galaxy Hobby Review

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010

Living in Toronto, there are a few hobby stores I have to pick from. I’ve had some bad experiences with hobby stores in the past but not anymore. Derry from Galaxy Hobby was all to pleased to get me setup and in the air.

First, I checked out their website www.galaxyhobby.ca and was lucky to find they had the whole line of E-Flight Blade RC Helicopters. I drove over to Central Parkway/Mavis in Mississauga and met Derry and his quaint hobby store. Galaxy Hobby focuses on RC cars so I was skeptic about their helicopter knowledge. I shouldn’t have been. Derry knew everything about the products and was very knowledgeable in RC helicotpers. We took a look at the Blade SR. He cut the packaging tape and brought the helicopter out I would later by. He gave me a full tour on single blade helicopters and explained with a big smile the “challenge” it would be to fly it. Derry gave me some tips on flying and mods I could do to the helicopter. The best part about being there was the non egotistical attitude I’ve seen almost everywhere else.

If you’re a beginner like myself and want to get started in electric RC helicopters, or even if you’re ready for a 3D electric RC helicopter, go to Galaxy Hobby and talk to Derry. I also noticed a many of the micro RC helicopter scale models in the store. If you’re thinking of getting an airhogs RC helicopter, you should instead go to Galaxy Hobby, or your local store, and check out their collection first. They’re much better then the toy store brands and they’re even cheaper to buy. People just don’t know this stuff! (it fooled me)

No comments:

Post a Comment