Saturday, October 16, 2010

Archive for the ‘RC Flight Simulator’ Category

Archive for the ‘RC Flight Simulator’ Category

RC Helicotpers – 1 Month Summary

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010

I’ve been flying a few days a week for just over a month now. I’ve been using E-Flite models starting with the Blade CX2 then moving to the Blade SR and the Blade mSR. I started practicing with training wheels and the phoenix flight simulator. I was quick to pick it up and I’m able to push the CX2 to its limits without problems. You can only go so fast with the coaxial models so I upgraded to the Blade SR and picked up an mSR on the side.

The E-Flite Blade CX2 got me started. I bought the RTF kit, extra battery and training gear. I was off the ground first go but only for a few seconds hover. I spent 1 week hovering and moving forward/backward left/right nose out. If you’re lucky to get a windless day take it outside and give yourself some playing room. The Blade CX2 is simple to correct if you lose control. Watch the wind. Even if the trees aren’t blowing there could be small small gusts that will affect the flight. Adding extra weight to the nose and moving the battery forward will help outdoor flights. I’ve crashed the CX2 a few times. I’ve replaced blades, skids, and one crash took out my canopy so I had an excuse to get another one. The main shaft is very slightly bent and noticeable at full throttle but it hasn’t affected the helicopter enough to need replacing. That will be the next repair.

The E-Flite Blade SR got me started on single rotor RC helicopters. I also got the training gear. The Phoenix RC Flight Simulator has the full line of E-Flite models so I flew the Blade SR for a few hours on the Sim before taking it out. My maiden flight was a success and I’ve been practicing basic forward/backward left/right movements nose out. I felt I was comfortable so I tried a simple circle. I ended up correcting a problem the wrong way and smashed it into the ground. I broke the blades, training gear, main gear, tail rod, and blew the tail motor. Fun, and I’ll have more fun undoing the solder to rewire the tail motor…

The E-Flite Blade mSR is the micro version of the Blade SR and my latest addition. It’s basically a very small single rotor helicopter and it’s fully loaded. I got the Bind and Fly kit meaning I can use my existing transmitter to control the Blade mSR. The maiden flight was the best one I’ve had yet. Out of the box, the Blade mSR was performing very well with my limited flying experience. I could fly it comfortably (nose out) in all directions. I brought the helicopter outside and played around with orientation. After just 2 days I’m very comfortable hovering and spot landing it. I own a handful of micro helicopters but the Blade mSR destroys them. If you like booting around every now and then indoors then this is the model for you. Spend the extra money and get into a real micro RC Helicopter.

Phoenix Flight Simulator – MAC/PC

Sunday, June 6th, 2010

Back to the hobby store…

I talked to Don at Boys with Cool Toys. He was a technician working on a T REX 450 and explained what he was fixing. I walked in wanting velcro for my battery but eventually saw the RC flight simulators. Don knew everything about the variety of sims out there and got me on the Phoenix RC Flight Simulataion Horizon Hobby Exclusive Edition. Horizon makes the Blade’s so it includes my CX2. The simulator also comes with a transmitter to USB converter so your PC will recognize it. It plugs into the Trainer input on my Spektrum transmitter. The box says “PC/MAC” written on the top, and Don was surprised it worked on a Mac. I’ve got a macbook pro to try it on so I that would be a bonus. Not so easy…

The DVD wouldn’t install on the Mac, of course it won’t there were no compatabile installs on the disk. I went to the website support and it clearly says it will run on your mac, IF, you run a virtual or partitioned windows OS and that will cost you a windows license if you don’t have one. Sure, it’s not that hard with BootCamp on the Mac but not easy if you’ve never done it before. I found the fine print on the box later. Errrrrr. For the record, it runs like a dream on the macbook pro with windows besides the known heat-up issues when pushing graphics on windowfied macs.

I’ve had some fun with the flight sim. I’ve got it hooked up to the 50″! Having the transmitter connected to the computer for controlling flight. I’ve put about 6 hours into it and flying the CX2 is getting really easy. I’ve been flying the HoneyBee and Air Wolf for more of a challenge. I can’t talk technical about it because I’m really not sure what I’m talking about so that will wait for another post. The graphics were extremely realistic. Now, I play video games, a lot, and I’m packing a geforce 8800 GT, so there’s no problem testing its performance. There are 17 sceneries you can fly on. The water and close surroundings were as real as a photographic picture and movements couldn’t be any better unless I had a better transmitter. I’m really curious how a performance transmitter feels compared to my beginner spektrum.


No comments:

Post a Comment