Saturday, October 16, 2010

Multiplex Mentor Pt.01

Now, the Multiplex Mentor I bought from modelspot arrived within a a few days and I've now finally finished pratting about putting it together and took it up to the flying field to plug it all in and test it all, even taxi it around on the runway for half hour to check it all stays in 1 peice and that the new battery is all good...

Here it is finished in standard format:


Nothing special to look at, but its my very first proper electric trainer, and its freakin massive!!!!

I seriously need to do something about the wings too because carrying them around is messing them up in the box as I keep throwing in other bits, screwdrivers and what-not and the servo wires are rubbing against the foam too, so I'll definately have to come up with some sort of "wing-bag" for these ASAP!

I'm really looking forward to flying this plane, I feel a lot more confident with this electric foamie than I would with a nitro plane thats for sure.

When your learning, you really need something reliable that you can depend on, and nitro for me, welllll, it just doesnt cut it as reliable given the amount of "dead-sticks" (Engine cut-outs) I've seen at our flying field over the last few months of spectating. With electric, you just plug-in, and go fly, and as long as everything is wired correctly and properly, you wont have any problems.

With the Mentor, Radio ready model, I did have to change the ESC (speed controller) plug to my own preference of an XT60 because they come with the multiplex plug on, ready for a multiplex lipo battery, but I think if you buy just the speed controller, its just wires only, nothing to cut off or de-solder.

I am seriously impressed though at its shear size, and all up weight, with my 5000mAh 3cell lipo is 1950g or 1.95kg, so it has a reasonable amount of weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment